Username Always stay logged in
Password:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: World Championships 2012  (Read 7684 times)
Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »

Well... I think it's time to open the topic in regards to the upcoming Worlds.
I don't know if I'm able to keep up on the fresh news here, but if I'm - I'll try to keep you guys updated on what's going on there. Please post here the news if get the update on the round results first.

Canadian F2D team:
1. Ivan MacKenzie
2. Pat Mac Kenzie
3. Yaroslav Melnikov
Paul Kubek

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »

Hey Yaro,

I'll be looking forward to keeping up with the activity in Bulgaria.

Best wishes to ALL of the teams from North America, as well as our friends Alex Prokofiev, and Dimitri Valkanov.

Paul
Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »

Well... there wasn't a really good start though. The airline didn't bring my models and I'm lucky I got the the following day. While receiving the bag with models in "lost and found" met some of the Russian team, their stuff didn't arrive as well.
We had some trouble with finding the fuel for practice as well as the practice spot - had to buy some fuel from the third party... had a chance to put a few flights on - the motors fly different, perhaps need to check the city elevation, we'll figure tomorrow...
Talk to ya later...
Paul Kubek

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:48 PM »

Hey Yaro, 

It appears that YOU are off to a good start. Sorry to see Pat and Ivan have a first round loss. Did Andrey Nadein have engine troubles ? From what I can understand, he was tied in cuts 1 to 1 and lost on airtime. 
Andrew Shkatov does a good job of posting images of the match schedules, and results on the ramsf.ru forums page. If you should converse with him, please tell him it's appreciated.

Good luck to you, and all of my friends. Most of all, HAVE FUN !  :-)

Paul
Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 06:01:26 PM »

I got my models and I'm all set.
As you guys probably know day one wasn't really lucky to both Canadian and USA team.

I wasn't really watching the matches, just posting the results:

team Canada:
Pat - L
Ivan - L
Yaro - W

team USA:
Allen - W
Andrew - L
Cary - W
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:24:47 PM by Yaroslav Melnikov » Logged
Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 06:24:11 PM »

day two was really bad for both teams. The combat Gods were nor really favor to us today.

team Canada:
Pat - L (DQ)
Ivan - W
Yaro - L (DQ)

team USA:
Allen - W
Andrew - L (DQ)
Cary - L

as you see - there were quite a few stupid DQs:
Pat was winning the match with one cut ahead + airtime. But the first model got the engine died. He landed next to our backup model we launched it pretty quickly. But. There was the opponent's model next to us (the guy hit the ground) and Pat mistakenly put his lines over the opponents lines - DQ

I had a match with really tough guy from LTU. I made a quick cut and we got a line tangle - one of the lines broke and my model hit the ground. The backup model was launched quickly and I made another cut taking the whole thing and then started to maneuver to feed my streamer. In a short while we got a line tangle again and both models crushed, but the one of opponent's lines stack somehow in my handle - DQ

Andrew suppose to have quite exciting match with some Ukrainian, Belorussian or Russian guy (sorry don't really remember). In a short while the match turned to a real mess and the guys got a midair. The backup models launched and (I guess) in a line tangle Andrew's opponent hit his model resulting the lines break and Andrew's model flew away. Everybody was waiting for the shut-off activated, but it didn't happen. And the model and one of the best Andrew's AKMs climbed quite a bit and then in a second with a rapid dive crushed somewhere in the town about a kilometer away from our flying site. DQ + lost motor... Everybody knew Nadein were really upset and I just can't imagine how Andrew felt at that moment.
In a few hours on the way back to the hotel I met Andrew holding some model. It appears somebody in the town found it and brought it back to the flying site as I guess everybody in the town knew there was hosting the World event! Well... at least something for Andrew and seems the motor survived the crush.

I must admit there was tough to keep up as the wind was just horrible. Just a little excuse Wink

The juniors at the World are really going nats - Trifonof (RUS WCh) had a match with GB little fella resulting the re-flight and Rastyanis (LTU vice WCh) had a match with a small one from CUBA - the same result!

So tomorrow another day...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:28:15 PM by Yaroslav Melnikov » Logged
Paul Kubek

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »

Hey Yaro, 

Thank you very much for the "blow by blow". You're going to spoil me !  :-)
So, You and Ivan still have another life, and Cary and Allen are in good shape so far. You only need ONE life to go all the way.  Keep your chin up Yaro, and enjoy the ride !  ... No matter how it turns out.

Best regards,Paul
Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 05:21:48 AM »

Day three.

team Canada:
Ivan - W
Yaro - L

team USA:
Allen - L
Cary - L

I was flying top Spanish guy. The motor was really going and the model was flying great so I had a kind of advantage. The opponent wasn't active in offense, so I started to study him. Tried to make a few false attacks to see his reaction, the reaction was quite predictable - once my model was approaching to his - from lazy flier he become very aggressive. So I gave up idea to get on his 6 thinking with his experience he might overturn me of feed me a streamer and decided to to try to make a cut on long passes. So prepared the attack and... took the whole thing.
I still had a great speed even with the full length streamer on and started defense. I was defending for a bout a minute and thought what I could do to save a match. I decided to feed the opponent a wing of my plane at the sun or try to give the the whole streamer. Boom! He eat my outboard wing taking the whole thing and... kept flying with a bad motor and on my model the shut off activated so I lost the match.

Allen could win the match but he lost the model flying eyes off somehow and hit the ground...
Paul Kubek

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

Hello Yaro,

So Ivan and Allen are still in with one loss, correct ?

What ever happened to Alex Prokofiev ? He seemed to be on quite a "roll" with his success at U.S. NATS, and Assen Jordanoff contests.

Enjoy the combat as a "tourist" and take notes for 2014. (I enjoy watching combat ALMOST as much as flying !)

regards, Paul   Smiley
Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 06:20:04 AM »

sorry, was busy a bit... but as you probably know Ivan and Allen lost in 4th round. To me Ivan wasn't aggressive enough and the opponent managed to make two cuts at the start. Also in a line tangle Ivan hit the ground. On the backup model he managed to make a lttle cut, but that was the end of the match
Paul Kubek

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:11 PM »

Hello Yaro,

Early exit from competition aside, I hope you had some fun. Did you watch all of the matches through the final ? When you return to compete in the next World Championships there will probably be many competitors who were in this one. I am sure you learned a lot too ! 

Have a safe trip home. 

regards, Paul
Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »

I'm very sure you guys already know the results Wink

New World Champion was flying YMS-3 version by the way...

I've learned a lot from the trip.
First of all the myth about "unbeatable" AKM's speed is not really true. They fly fast, but not the way faster. Some pilots (including me  Tongue) with FORA had the same speed or faster (!)

The second - models.
Everything is just the matter of flying practice. New WCh was flying a regular model with carbon TE (you can actually see the photos on my website store  Grin), pilot number two used his own super-druper models (Trifonof) and the third Dementiev was flying very simple planes with wood TE and sparks. And to me they didn't fly outstanding, but somewhat OK.

The third - flying level.
I would say 40-50% of the contestants had quite an average level of piloting skill at the US Nats the average piloting skill is higher. Then another 35-40% of the fliers had very good piloting skill like top 5 at US Nats or even higher. And remaining 10% (including a few juniors) fly just fantastic. But from what I've seen after the 4th round everybody was flying quite simple and the same scenario: 1-2 cuts, line tangle, midair. Also I've seen enough dirty flying, the main bad boys were from: MDA, UKR, LAT, RUS.
I've seen a match between Russian pilot and some Junior (from Spain I think). The Russian guy (I think that was Andrey Belyaev) made a midair two times to his opponent, the Junior obviously lost the match as due to airtime, but he was so pissed, he managed to take off on a damaged model and started to attack the Russian pilot's model which had no streamer intending to ram the model and hi did.

Thank you for the nice words Paul, I'm not really upset (but still upset as I know I could do much better  Cool) as looses is the experience too and great stimulation to keep working. So at least now I'm 100% sure I have top models and the engines and can just focus on the flying practice instead and pay all my attention to it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:05:07 AM by Yaroslav Melnikov » Logged
Paul Kubek

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »

Hello Yaro,

Congratulations on having Yaro designed equipment being flown by the Champion ! THAT is definitely a "feather in your cap !" (something to be proud of)

If the AKM was truly unbeatable, EVERYBODY would feel the need to own them. Especially those who don't QUITE make it to the podium.

Nothing can beat experience and practice. You can't practice too much.
A competitor can spend a fortune accumulating all of the best and latest equipment, but if he doesn't have the talent he probably won't get past the second round very often.

That anybody would fly "dirty", particularly against a junior, is disappointing. I have only been to one World Championships, in 2004.  One competitor who I have come to have enormous respect for is Boris Faizov. I enjoyed watching him fly, and have heard NOTHING but good about him. My understanding is that he is the standard by which all other sportsmen should be judged. I heard it said that he WILL NOT make a "strategic landing". I guess he feels that if you can beat him, you deserve the opportunity to do it.

They say you don't appreciate the wins if you haven't experienced losses. Better luck next time.  Smiley

regards, Paul

Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »

I found a video of my second round match I lost to Lithuanian pilot.
Looking from the side perhaps with the second model should've done the deep defense instead, my plane was really going and the strong wind would help with the streamer shift out of the circle... The first model was dead due to the lines were saw off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGyWA-ctPhw&feature=channel&list=UL
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:21:46 PM by Yaroslav Melnikov » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: