Username Always stay logged in
Password:
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems Running Engines In Cold Weather.  (Read 2236 times)
Shawn Cook

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »

Hello Aerohobby forum I finally was able to create a account thanks to Yaro. I had some questions regarding running .15 f2d engines and 1/2a engines in cold weather. It seems whenever winter rolls around I can never fly my models due to engine troubles no matter how rich I set my needles on the ground the planes fly maybe 30 sec and start going over lean. The engines surge back and forth as if its not getting fuel. Things I have tried with no success are wrapping yarn around the cylinder fins to keep heat in the engine , I tried all synthetic oil fuels , I have tried different bladder material , and new plugs with no luck. My regular fuel which works very well in warmer months is 10% nitro, 11%syn oil, 11% castor power master fuel. If you fly in cold weather or have any tips please share your ideas. Thanks Shawn

* DSCN2096.JPG (958.1 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 262 times.)
Yaroslav Melnikov
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:46:37 AM »

Hi Shawn,

Sorry for the long time response, too much trouble with the weather lately in Ontario and since I'm in transportation business I had been totally into my work...

i recognize the symptoms, it happens normally due to the engine's temperature drops out of normal operational temperature range. As you know with gaining the speed the cylinder gets colder and combining with low outside temperature it causes the trouble sometimes. You did it right wrapping the cylinder with some material, it might help to keep the cylinder's temperature up, but there are also a few other solutions.

1) You might try to set the head clearance lower, the higher compression ratio - the higher the operational temperature
2) You might need to play with different props. Try to use lighter props (by pitch), or try to trim down the prop you use and see what happens.
3) Another solution might be using higher nitro fuel, probably 15-20%, or some fuel with less oil percentage. At this point I would recommend Cool Power 10%, it comes with 17% synthetic oil.
4) Since you tried multiple bladder material I skip this one...

That's what comes to my mind right away. Probably this is the constructional problem and needs some specific approach, but need more data like type of muffler used (6 or 8mm?). From what I see on the picture it's old F2D Kozel. What's the other one?
Henry Nelson recently shared some experience on similar problem resolved his friend had with 0.8cc Fora. Henry's solution was simple and effective - new needle. But that's Henry...

By the way. I wonder what the temperature was you put your flights on? My record - practice at -23C with F2D toys, but no much fun  Grin and that was back to 90s
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:50:58 AM by Yaroslav Melnikov » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: